Self-Care Tips: How To Stay On Top Of Stress And Anxiety In 2020
I know that in the future, whenever people discuss the year 2020, COVID-19 and its effect will be at the forefront of everyones minds. So, it’s safe to say that whenever stress and anxiety in 2020 are mentioned, we are talking about the stress and anxiety caused by the current pandemic that we’re all living through.
The potential effects of Covid-19 on our mental health are something we should never overlook. Most of us – myself included, have never had a reason to stay at home for weeks or months at a time. Yet, here we are, being asked to stay at home to prevent the spread of a virus.
Many places, both business and recreation areas, were entirely or partially closed due to the lockdown. While all these were going on, most of us were watching the headlines and wondering, “When is this going to end?”
Some of you are in areas where the number of new cases and deaths are getting higher every second. Others have the good fortune of seeing their country’s COVID -19 numbers dwindling. But one thing is sure; this pandemic has psychologically affected a lot of people.
Nonetheless, it’s important to remember that it’s only natural to feel disoriented by this event. So, I can assure you that these complicated feelings will pass with time and, of course, a little effort.
This article was written with the sole purpose of helping you fight against stress, anxiety, and even depression that may be a result of the pandemic. Now, I will point out the simple things that you can do to take care of your mental health and keep your mind at rest during these times of uncertainty.
How To Stay On Top Of Stress And Anxiety In 2020
- Reduce COVID-19 Research and Conversations: In as much as it is important to be informed, your mental health and anxiety should be your top priority during this time. Getting information is good, but you have to be sure that it is from a trustworthy source.
This is because a false report about what’s happening around you doesn’t just affect your anxiety levels but could affect others too. On that note, you should try not to share information without fact-checking them against credible sources.
- Maintain Social Connections: Humans are social animals. We’re hardwired for connection. Therefore, isolation and loneliness can exacerbate anxiety and depression. This, in turn, can also impact our physical health.
Maintaining healthy relationships with people we trust is vital for our mental wellbeing. Therefore, to stay on top of stress, you should prioritize keeping in touch with friends and family.
If you can, visit or meet up with friends and family in person. But remember to follow the latest government guidance on social distancing while you’re at it. However, if you cannot meet up in person, stay in touch by phone, video calls, or social media.
While you’re at it, avoid having a conversation that is based on depressing topics, especially the Coronavirus.
- Take Care Of Your Body: This is the perfect time to ensure that your body is well cared for. Ensure that while you’re at home, you engage in regular exercises. In addition to that, try to eat healthy food and sleep as at when due.
- Engage in Activities You Love: no matter how tempting it may be, try not to sulk and go deeper into depression. You can make this period to be the most fruitful and exciting moment of your life if you choose.
Now you have enough time to focus on your favorite things. Try out new things, prepare new recipes, engage in free online tutorials, etc. Do the things you enjoy doing involve meeting up with people? If yes, you should think out ways to achieve just what you need while following social distancing guidelines.
- Focus on the present: Stop focusing and fixating about the future and how things will turn out. Instead of helping you solve your problem, overthinking can lead you to anxiety disorder.
In all you do, always remember that your health is the most important thing. Always ensure that your own mental and physical health is your utmost priority. Stay away from toxic information and guard your sanity religiously by being mentally active. Finally, always remember that tough times don’t last, but tough people do!
About Wholesome Choices
Helping you live better.
Here at Wholesome Choices we scour the health and wellness market to bring you the latest news and products. Our goal is to help simplify your purchasing decisions, live better and get the best value for money possible. We conduct rigorous research across many product categories and provide detailed guides to help you when shopping for wellness products.